Sunday, February 7, 2016

The end of my holiday: a reflection

It saddens me that my holiday in Groningen already has ended. It all went by so quickly! It is time to reflect on my wonderful time in this beautiful city.

My first goal was to give you a varied view of Groningen. I hope that I have reached this by writing about different things in Groningen, like the Groninger museum and 'het Noorderplantsoen', but also by giving a view of different buildings in the city.

My second goal was to make clear that accessibility is very important in tourism. I have written about some places that are well accessible for tourists with a disability, and about places that are not very accessible. I gave some theories about accessibility, for example the one from Buhalis and Darcy (2012), which says that there needs to be a collaboration between different parties to make accessible tourism possible.

It is time to leave Groningen
My third goal was seeing Groningen through the eyes of a tourist. For inhabitants of Groningen, some places might have become less special by living in the city. 'Het Noorderplantsoen' might not be super special anymore when you cycle through it every day. Another example are the mills which are normal for Dutch people. But for me, and other tourists, they are nice to see. I have also tried to see things not only as a tourism scholar. It was my holiday, I didn't have to think about tourism theories all the time.
So I have shown in this blog things that are interesting for tourists.    

In this blog I have used different theories. I am interested in different sides of tourism, so I have written about heritage tourism, tourist behavior and accessible tourism. 

I hope you have enjoyed my blogposts, my pictures and the theories I have explained. It is now time to go back to New Zealand, but the Netherlands were worth the visit. I really want to come back soon to discover more of this small country.

References



Buhalis, D., Darcy, S. (2012) Accessible tourism: concepts and issues. Bristol, UK: Channel View Publications.

No comments:

Post a Comment